Office of Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment & Intervention Services
Mrs. Vera Ridoux, District Supervisor of Curriculum,
Instruction, Assessment & Intervention Services
Mrs. Alyson Ephraim, Administrative Assistant
The Rumson School District ignites the potential of its learners by growing, inspiring and cultivating personal excellence academically, socially and emotionally. Deane-Porter and Forresdale are innovative schools where students, staff, and teachers are encouraged to take risks, be curious, and be creative.
Aligned to the most up to date New Jersey Student Learning Standards, our curriculum is regularly reviewed to ensure that students are meeting the highest academic standards and are gaining the skills they need to thrive in the 21st century. In addition to development in all core content areas, students' proficiency is further developed with critical thinking, problem solving, research, technology, collaboration, cultural literacy, leadership, and wellness.
Deane Porter School K-3, Curricular Units of Study Linked Below
Forrestdale School 4-8, Curricular Units of Study Linked Below
Curricular Unit Development
When designing units of study for each grade level and subject area:
- The appropriate state standards are identified and analyzed to determine what students should know and be able to do at each grade level and in each unit of study.
- Assessments, including both tests and projects, are designed to assess those learning goals.
- Activities are gathered or developed to help students practice the necessary knowledge, skills and strategies.
- Data, both in numerical and anecdotal form, is collected during instruction to determine how well students are meeting the goals so adjustments can be made in the instructional plan to help students successfully meet the goals of the units as evaluated in the assessments.
- Relevant skills and technology applications are integrated into the units of study to help students gain skills in problem-solving, collaboration, and technology.
- Interdisciplinary connections are made between units and across subjects to model the integration of knowledge and skills in the real world.
Philosophy of Curriculum
Curriculum philosophy/vision documents are developed and updated regularly to guide the acquisition of resources, delivery of instruction, use of assessment outcomes, and participation in professional development. These actions support continuous review of our curriculum.
Rumson's Curriculum Philosophy
K-3 Literacy Philosophy / Reading Word Study / Writing and Grammar
4-8 Literacy Philosophy / Reading Word Study / Writing and Grammar
K-8 Reading / Word Study Program
K-8 Writing / Grammar Program
K-8 Mathematics Philosophy
Mathematics K-8 Program
Professional Development Philosophy
Professional Development District Goals
Professional Development Plan
Rumson’s curriculum is developed using a backward-design process based on the New Jersey Student Learning Standards.
The New Jersey Student Learning Standards include Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards, as well as nine K-12 standards.